Auto Glass Technician Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a highly-skilled auto glass technician to repair or replace the windshields as well as door and quarter glasses on customers’ vehicles. The auto glass technician’s responsibilities include notifying customers of various issues that may affect glass installation, removing damaged glass without causing further damage to customers’ vehicles, completing all necessary paperwork, and keeping damaged glass areas moisture-free during repairs. You should also be able to inspect windshields and windows to determine whether the glass should be repaired or replaced.
To be successful as an auto glass technician, you should demonstrate sound mechanical skills and adhere to all health and safety regulations when using hazardous materials. Ultimately, an exceptional auto glass technician should be able to effectively communicate with customers and achieve excellent customer service at all times.
Auto Glass Technician Responsibilities:
- Using primer to prime all damaged areas of windshields and car windows.
- Weatherproofing glass by applying a chemical treatment to the outer surfaces and installing rubber weather seals around glass edges.
- Traveling to various locations to assess as well as repair or replace customers’ windshields and windows.
- Removing moldings, wipers, screws, bolts, and clips before glass installation and repairs and replacing them thereafter.
- Injecting resin into small chips or cracks and heating the damaged areas using a heat source.
- Identifying issues that may affect glass installation, such as rust or vehicle damage.
- Removing all dirt and debris from windshields and windows before beginning repair or weatherproofing treatments.
- Using clips, moldings, and adhesives to affix custom-cut glass to customers’ vehicles.
Auto Glass Technician Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Certification in automotive glass repair and installation through the National Glass Association (NGA) is advantageous.
- Proven experience working as an auto glass technician.
- Sound knowledge of automotive glass repair and installation techniques.
- Strong mechanical skills.
- Good manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
- Effective communication skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills.